Jan 18, 2018
The Master of Science in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics prepares students for effective business intelligence, analytics, data science, and leadership roles by focusing on business acumen, ethics and leadership, data command, technology, and storytelling communication. The degree is application‐oriented with every course designed to connect the student to real world situations and scenarios. Students engage in the study and implementation of advanced analytic techniques and enterprise‐level business intelligence design. Students construct an operational data store, identify stakeholder needs, assess resource needs, and present projects to experienced business intelligence professionals and industry leaders. Students completing the program are prepared to complete advanced data mining models, and lead, support and develop business intelligence and data science capabilities at small, medium, and large companies.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics are expected to be able to do the following:
- Apply principles and skills of economics, marketing, and decision making to contexts and environments in data science.
- Adapt appropriate technology and software solutions to build and enhance business intelligence capabilities.
- Analyze legal and ethical principles applied to contexts and environments of data science and decision making.
- Design tested and effective advanced analytics models and simulations for decision making.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of modes and contexts.
Program Structure and Delivery
The Master of Science in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics program is delivered fully online.
Total required credits
The faculty members for this program have earned doctorate or master’s degrees. Faculty are selected for their combination of educational and professional experience and expertise.
Applicants may apply for admission to master’s degree programs at any time during the year. Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and maintained an overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale. Applicants must demonstrate the language proficiency necessary for successful graduate coursework. Applicants must complete an interview with a program administrator as part of the admission process.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form with the nonrefundable application fee (fee not required for alumni or students seeking readmission or veterans and active military personnel), and
- An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution. Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated by a university accepted evaluation source, such as World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth International Credential Evaluators and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S. university standards).
- A reflective essay which includes the following:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience; and
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and his or her reasons for seeking admission to the program; and
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be his or her strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities; and
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Letter(s) of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability; and
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
- Applicants with international transcripts may require an English language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or MELAB accepted.)
Please Note: Application materials should be sent to the attention of the Office of Admission on the Twin Cities campus.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Office of Admission
2500 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55404