HHSM315 Healthcare Communication and Team Strategies (3 cr.)
This course examines principles and skills for choosing appropriate and effective communication among healthcare individuals, teams and patient/clients using verbal and written skills. Verbal and non-verbal channels, listening, person perception, conflict resolution, and communication barriers are explored to encourage the development of communication skills necessary for success in healthcare settings.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate effective and objective written communication appropriate for the audience.
- Determine the most effective means to communicate information in various healthcare situations.
- Recognize various individual communication styles of members within a health team.
- Apply verbal communication skills focused on speaking, listening, and interpreting verbal/nonverbal language ensuring mutual understanding.
- Identify and mediate team behaviors impeding effective teamwork among healthcare teams.
- Apply strategies to identify, intervene, and prevent collegial conflict.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)