ADS592 Practicum Completion Seminar (0 cr.)
Prerequisite(s): ADS551 , ADS552 , ADS553 , ADS554 , ADS555 , ADS556 , ADS557 , ADS558 , ADS590 , ADS591
Students work in a setting, which emphasizes the treatment of individuals with addictions, alcohol and drug abuse problems, and co-occurring mental health concerns. This work must consist of a minimum of 880 total hours with the experience divided into two 440 hours of practicum at a site licensed by the State of Minnesota to provide alcohol and drug counseling. An experienced, Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC), who is approved by the BBHT to provide supervision, supervises the student on-site. A practicum seminar course is taken concurrently with this field experience, providing opportunities for discussion of case materials and concerns related to the practicum setting. Personal and professional issues relevant to the practicum experience are examined.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Utilize the 12 Core Functions in the treatment of clients.
- Apply theories of chemical dependency and addiction to clinical practice.
- Integrate relevant psycho-pharmacological principles and research into practice.
- Incorporate legal and ethical principles into work with clients.
- Demonstrate a multicultural perspective in counseling practice
- Apply knowledge of family systems and socio-cultural factors to work with clients.
- Provide effective counseling to clients with co-occurring disorders/dual diagnoses.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)