PY613 Counseling Theory and Technique (3 cr.)
Major approaches to counseling and psychotherapy are analyzed with emphasis on applications in the theoretical relationship. Professional psychological writing style is discussed in this course.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Understand the major theoretical approaches to counseling.
- Acquire basic counseling skills.
- Apply therapeutic theory to the skills and roles used in the practice of therapy.
- Apply ethical principles to counseling.
- Apply professional psychological writing style.
- Articulate a personal theory of counseling and define personal style.
- Evaluate the cultural implications of modern psychotherapy.
- Apply an awareness and appreciation of diversity to counseling.
- Support reasoning in application of theory and technique to diagnoses and treatment interventions.
- Understand the significance of research evidence and community standards of practice in selecting and evaluating interventions.
[Add to Portfolio]