EDS773 Legal Issues in Special Education (3 cr.)
This course identifies and analyzes the laws and rules governing special education programs and school districts in Minnesota. Implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), as revised, is studied specifically as it relates to legal requirements. Education case law, contract law, labor relations, policies, and regulations pertinent to special education in Minnesota are discussed. Program options and dispute resolution processes and resources are examined.
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Interpret state and federal regulations governing the monitoring of special education programs.
- Review, analyze and interpret state and federal laws related to special education.
- Apply relevant case law, rules, policies and regulations to special education.
- Analyze issues and legal concepts specific to special education school law.
- Articulate the process of dispute resolution as it pertains to conflict with parents, students, staff, and various advocacy groups.
- Analyze legal requirements regarding assistive technologies and specialized instructional strategies used to support special education programs and students.
[Add to Portfolio]