ESL560 Student Teaching (6 cr.)
Prerequisite(s): All other licensing coursework
While working closely with a cooperating teacher, the student begins to assume the role of teacher in an actual classroom setting, gradually becoming fully responsible for planning, organizing, and teaching lessons, maintaining a conducive learning environment, and becoming acquainted with school routines and practices. The pre-service teacher is expected to demonstrate development of professional dispositions of a well-organized, effective, and reflective instructor. Teacher candidates student teach for a semester in an area school. Mastery of the Minnesota State Standards of Effective Practice is expected by the end of student teaching.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Create learning experiences utilizing central ESL concepts, tools, of inquiry to make English language learning meaningful for learners.
- Apply knowledge of how students learn and develop in order to provide learning opportunities that support a student’s intellectual, social, and personal development.
- Create instructional opportunities that are adapted for learners of diverse backgrounds and exceptionalities.
- Utilize a variety of instructional strategies to encourage student development of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills.
- Facilitate learning environments the encourage learners’ positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation.
- Foster active inquiry, collaboration, and supportive interaction in the classroom through effective verbal, nonverbal, and media communication.
- Plan and manage instruction based upon knowledge of the English language and language learning principles, students, the community, and curriculum goals.
- Utilize formal and informal assessment strategies to evaluate and ensure the continuous intellectual, social, and physical development of learners.
- Reflect on effects of choices and actions on others, including learners, parents, and other professionals in the learning community.
- Interact with stakeholders to support student learning and well-being.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)