ADS591 Practicum II (3 cr.)
(440 hours) Students work in a setting which emphasizes the treatment of individuals with addictions and alcohol and drug abuse problems. This work must consist of a minimum of 880 total hours with the experience divided into two 440 hours of practicum. The student is supervised by an experienced Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor at a site licensed by the State of Minnesota to provide alcohol and drug counseling. A practicum seminar is taken concurrently with this work and provides an opportunity for discussion of case materials and concerns related to the practicum setting.
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Apply theories of chemical dependency and addiction to practice.
- Utilize the 12 core functions in the treatment of clients.
- Integrate relevant psychopharmacological principles and research into practice.
- Incorporate legal and ethical principles into work with clients.
- Demonstrate a multicultural perspective in counseling practice.
- Apply knowledge of family systems and sociocultural factors to work with clients.
- Provide effective counseling to clients with co-occurring disorders/dual diagnoses.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)