Dean Beckman, M.S., Chair
The Department of Communication houses the majors of Digital Media and Journalism, Public Relations, and Strategic Communication, along with minors in Digital Media and Journalism, Public Relations, and Leadership. Students study and implement the conveying of information, ideas, and opinions in written, oral, and multimedia formats. The department helps students build practical skills needed for today’s work environments, and emphasizes the importance of communication theories, ethics, and critical analysis in communication messages from companies, organizations and the media.
General Goals for Learning
- Describe the essential nature of communication as a field of study and recognize its significance in interpreting human behavior.
- Demonstrate foundational skills in academic and professional research, writing, analysis, and presentation.
- Demonstrate the ability, through practice and performance, to clearly and effectively utilize communication technologies and express messages through multiple media.
- Demonstrate knowledge of various theories, cases, and best practices, and how to apply critical thinking to an array of ethical dilemmas.
- Demonstrate the extension and appreciation of the skills and knowledge acquired from their studies during internships, careers, or in the continuation of their education.