The Master of Science in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics prepares students for effective business intelligence, analytics, data science, and leadership roles by focusing on business acumen, ethics and leadership, data command, technology, and storytelling communication. The degree is application‐oriented with every course designed to connect the student to real world situations and scenarios. Students engage in the study and implementation of advanced analytic techniques, such as data engineering and artificial intelligence and enterprise‐level business intelligence design. Students construct an operational data store, identify stakeholder needs, assess resource needs, and present projects to experienced business intelligence professionals and industry leaders. Students completing the program are prepared to construct advanced data mining models, and lead, support and develop business intelligence and data science capabilities at small, medium, and large companies.
Students have the opportunity to select one of three certificates to further tailor their program to their particular career track and interest:
Artificial Intelligence - Students study data engineering to collect, clean and structure data for artificial intelligence projects. Through deep learning methodology and technology focused on artificial intelligence models, students gain skills and insight to perform in the fields of big data, IoT, and artificial intelligence.
Business Analytics - Students learn how to frame business problems, provide optimal solutions, and improve business performance through data science project application. Students learn which tools are available, which to create themselves, and then how to implement them to improve organizational performance.
Healthcare Analytics - Students learn how to develop business intelligence capabilities within a healthcare organization and apply artificial intelligence techniques across a spectrum of patient care and business functions. Students study best-practice information management systems, including health informatics and decision support systems. Learn how to develop highly-accurate models for patient needs and organization objectives. Students also study governance and ethics, including HIPAA.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics are expected to be able to do the following:
- Apply principles and skills of economics and decision making to contexts and environments in data science.
- Adapt appropriate technology and software solutions to build and enhance business intelligence capabilities.
- Analyze legal and ethical principles applied to contexts and environments of data science and decision-making.
- Design tested and effective advanced analytics models and simulations for decision making.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of modes and contexts
Additional Certificate Outcomes
- Design and deploy an end-to-end artificial intelligence-based solution.
- Present deliverables to prospective stakeholders that align with the strategy goals of an organization.
- Evaluate ethical considerations around artificial intelligence-based solutions, focused on conflict resolution, cross-functional teamwork, and compliance issues.
- Apply appropriate tools, data models, and ethical approaches to solve specific business problems.
- Demonstrate project management techniques to business analytics projects.
- Communicate with a variety of stakeholders and audiences.
- Evaluate ways that the organization can improve its operations through analytics.
- Apply specialized knowledge in healthcare analytics, while adhering to ethical and legal considerations including HIPAA requirements and organizational governance.
- Incorporate health informatics, information systems, and data analysis frameworks to enhance organizational effectiveness and decision making processes.
- Communicate highly sensitive data to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Employ best-practice data science techniques to clinical, insurance, and hospital data to identify errors and ensure accuracy.
- Integrate artificial intelligence to achieve the organization’s goals.
Program Structure and Delivery
The Master of Science in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics program is delivered fully online.
Students must complete a certificate in Business Analytics, Healthcare Analytics, or Artificial Intelligence as part of the master’s degree.
In addition, students may substitute 6 credits from any of the following completed SMUMN certificates to replace MBA604 Managerial Economics and MBA618 Business Statistics. The substitutions allow these certificate students to complete the M.S. in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics with just 30 credits.
Digital Marketing Certificate
Human Resource Management Certificate
Individual and Team Leadership Certificate
International Development Certificate
Nonprofit Management Certificate
Organizational and Change Leadership Certificate
Project Management Certificate