EDMA632 Ethics and Law (3 cr.)
The focus of this course is on the laws and ethics that govern school districts and their employees. Key federal and state laws and case law are studied in relation to current educational issues. Distinctions are made among personal beliefs, cultural norms, ethical codes, and legal standards in the educational environment. The role of an ethical educational leader in a school community is explored.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Understand how personal beliefs, cultural norms, ethical codes and legal standards affect expectations for professional behavior in an educational setting.
- Review, analyze and interpret federal and Minnesota statutory law related to education.
- Examine landmark court cases to understand, analyze and apply legal precedent to K-12 education.
- Apply legal requirements and ethical considerations to educational decision making.
- Explore responsibilities of teachers in situations where personal beliefs and organizational/professional expectations conflict.
[Add to Portfolio]