PY708 Practicum I - Early Entry Psy.D Applicants (2 cr.)
Students work in a counseling or mental health setting under the supervision of a licensed psychologist, for a minimum of 20 hours per week for a total of 350 hours. Half of the hours at the practicum site are in counseling and other direct services. A practicum seminar must be taken concurrently as part of the practicum requirement. The supervision seminar provides an environment for discussion of case materials as well as problems and concerns that arise in the practicum setting. Personal and professional issues relevant to the practicum experience are examined.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Apply effective communication and therapeutic skills in professional work at practicum site.
- Integrate knowledge of psychological theories, assessment, research, and ethics into the practice of psychology.
- Integrate feedback from on-site supervision and seminar supervision into effective diagnosis, treatment interventions and therapeutic process.
- Apply professional perspective regarding clinical issues in the practice of psychology.
- Demonstrate inclusivity and multicultural perspective with clients and colleagues.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)