Oct 17, 2018
The Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science (GIS) is a technology-centered certificate program for those seeking professional geospatial technology skills to support increasing workplace demands for geospatial technology use and decision making. The certificate is comprised of 18 credits. The certificate is offered in both Winona and Minneapolis. The certificate is intended to prepare learns with robust knowledge of cutting-edge geospaital technology without requiring a Master of Science degree. All courses offered in the certificate offerings parallels the skills and knowledge needed for continued professional certification from the GIS Certification Institute. All courses are offered at the graduate level.
Learners are exposed to the latest software, technology, and resources for applied geographic information systems (GIS) and related technologies in fields such as natural resources, business intelligence, emergency management, surveying, urban planning, programming, public safety, and project management. In addition, experiences are enhanced by providing core training in hardware/software uses in GIS, development of databases, GIS data analysis, and foundations of programming.
The program is structured to help maximize all experience levels and backgrounds - whether a person has a rich background in GIS or is completely new to the field. With geospatial technology’s ability to be applied to limitless fields and its increasing demand as a current and emerging career, it is a valuable science to possess within the digital technology era.
Graduates of the Graduate Certificate in GIS are expected to be able to do the following:
- Use and analyze geospatial data.
- Demonstrate proficiency in data collection and database administration.
- Develop custom applications and scripts to optimize GIS functionality.
- Engage in complex critical thinking.
All students complete 18 credits to earn the Graduate Certificate in GIS.
Required Courses (18 cr.)
Applicants may apply for admission to graduate programs at any time during the year. Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and maintained an overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale. Applicants must demonstrate the language proficiency necessary for successful graduate coursework. All applicants must complete an interview with a program administrator.
Applicants must submit:
- Completed application form with the nonrefundable application fee (fee not required for alumni or students seeking readmission or veterans and active military personnel) and,
- An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor’s degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program pre- requisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent or carried to the university in an envelope sealed by the granting university. Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated by a university accepted evaluation source, such as World Education Services, www.wes.org, or Educational Credential Evaluators, www.ece.org, and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S.university standards.) and,
- A personal statement which includes:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience and,
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and his or her reasons for seeking admission to the program and,
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be his or her strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities and,
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Letter(s) of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability and,
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
Please Note: Application materials should be sent to the attention of the GIS Program Office on the Twin Cities Campus.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Office of Admission
Twin Cities Campus
2500 Park Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55404-4403