May 25, 2022
In economic environments of volatility and rapid change, innovation offers a model for effective business evolution to meet market demands. Entrepreneurs seek to develop new products, design solutions to pressing problems, and pivot existing business models to meet emerging needs. This certificate in innovation and entrepreneurship offers a tangible and evidence-based approach to identify needs, move from an idea to execution, and create a structure for continued business growth. The coursework is relevant to innovators and entrepreneurs who seek to understand the structure around ideation, business design, growth, funding, and new venture management.
- Apply theories, processes and business development tools to identify problems and create solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to design, build, and fund new business models using innovative planning.
- Communicate with diverse stakeholders through entrepreneurial marketing plans.
- Evaluate and identify ways for the organization to innovate and thrive in times of uncertainty.
Program Structure and Delivery
The certificate is designed for online and blended delivery. Courses are 8 weeks in length.
The faculty members for this program have earned doctorate or master’s degrees. Faculty are selected for their combination of educational and professional experience and expertise.
Applicants may apply for admission to graduate certificate programs at any time during the year. Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and maintained an overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale. Applicants must demonstrate the language proficiency necessary for successful graduate coursework. Applicants may complete an interview with a program administrator as part of the admission process.
Applicants may apply for admission to graduate certificate programs at any time during the year. Applicants may have completed an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and maintained an overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale. Applicants must demonstrate the language proficiency necessary for successful graduate coursework. Applicants may be required to complete an interview with a program administrator as part of the admission process.Applicants must submit for following:
- Completed application form with the nonrefundable application fee (fee not required for alumni or students seeking readmission or veterans and active military personnel and their immediate family) and,
- An official transcript issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution. Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated on a course by course basis by a university accepted evaluation service, such as World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth International Credential Evaluators and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S. university standards). Evaluations from an approved member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES.org) will also be accepted.
- A personal statement which includes:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience and,
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and his or her reasons for seeking admission to the program and,
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be his or her strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities and,
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Names of two people (including title, organization, email, phone number) who could serve as professional references, if needed, during the application review process. The best references are those who know you in a professional capacity, such as current or former supervisors.
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
See individual programs for additional application requirements.