Jun 17, 2021
The Human Resource Management Graduate Certificate is designed for those seeking knowledge and skill in the main aspects of human resource management. The program provides individuals with the foundational skills needed to excel in human resource positions, including recruiting and hiring, employment law, compensation and benefits, and human resources organizational strategy.
Upon completion of the certificate, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Analyze the role of human resources as strategic business partners in organizational strategy.
- Evaluate employment practices pertaining to recruitment, selection, and performance management.
- Analyze organizational policies and procedures related to employment law and statutory frameworks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of total rewards practice and strategy, including compensation and benefits.
Program Structure and Delivery
The Human Resource Management Certificate is delivered fully online.
*Students who possess and can document current certification for either the SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources) or the SHRM-SCP (Society for Human Resource Management, Senior Certified Professional) prior to admission to the Human Resource Management Certificate may substitute an additional elective course for the HRM601 course, keeping the 12 total credit requirement. For more details contact program staff.
Courses Available for Those with Waived HRM601
The faculty members for this program have earned doctorate or master’s degrees. Faculty are selected for their combination of educational and professional experience and expertise.
Applicants may apply for admission to master’s degree programs at any time during the year. Applicants must have completed an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and maintained an overall grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale. Applicants must demonstrate the language proficiency necessary for successful graduate coursework. Applicants may complete an interview with a program administrator as part of the admission process.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed application form with the nonrefundable application fee (fee not required for alumni or students seeking readmission or veterans and active military personnel), and
- An official transcript(s) issued to Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota from the institution posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree and other relevant transcripts documenting program prerequisites and potential transfer credits. (An official transcript is one that is sent to the university by the credit-granting institution. Transcripts from countries other than the U.S. must be evaluated on a course by course basis by a university accepted evaluation service, such as World Education Services, Educational Credential Evaluators, Educational Perspectives, or One Earth International Credential Evaluators and be deemed equivalent to accredited U.S. university standards). Evaluations from an approved member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES.org) will also be accepted.
- A reflective essay which includes the following:
- brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience; and
- statement indicating the career goals of the applicant and their reasons for seeking admission to the program; and
- description of the areas the applicant considers to be their strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities; and
- personal information the applicant wishes to share.
- Letter(s) of recommendation that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and academic ability; and
- A current résumé listing educational background and work experience.
- Applicants with international transcripts may require an English language proficiency exam (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or MELAB accepted.)
Please Note: Application materials should be sent to the attention of the Office of Admission on the Twin Cities Campus.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota
Office of Admission
2500 Park Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55404